A: Bartlett’s Rule
C: Within the Law
D: Courage of the Heart
E: Final Sin
Here are the excerpts:
1. ***** helped her while she fumbled into a night shirt and crawled under the blankets. Then he went to his side of the bed and stripped, leaving his clothing on the floor. He got under the covers and pulled her body up against his, he kissed her on the top of her head and whispered “G’night.” Before he reached to turn out his night table lamp, he stopped to watch her sleeping in their bed…another memory for him to store.
2. There was no way he was a hero, he thought. He laughed and shook his head. But he didn’t argue. So long as he could wrap himself in the blanket, he was willing to cooperate. She helped him to his feet. He wound up taking a ride in the back on one of the other police cruisers, the trooper behind the wheel was nice enough to turn the heat on high. He borrowed the Nextel on his ride in and called ***** to ask her to bring him dry clothes and pick him up at the hospital. He assured her he was fine.
3. ***** injected epinephrine and sodium bicarb twice in an effort to restart her heart, but they couldn’t get her back. She had lost too much blood and had suffered too many traumas. It was almost as if she was surrendering to the peaceful cloak of death. It was a frustrating twenty-five minutes while the crew worked hard to save the young woman’s life.
4. She watched incredulously as he pulled a pair of jeans on. “I’m sorry…I…” Suddenly ***** felt angry. “If you thought that I thought it was going to be some kind of commitment, you don’t need to worry. I got carried away…don’t worry, it won’t happen again.” She stood taking the bed sheet with her to cover herself. “If you don’t mind giving me some privacy, I’ll get dressed.”
5. He silently counted to ten before answering. “You will stay out of my personal life. And don’t threaten me about my son.” He felt the bile rising in his throat. “And don’t you dare ever tell my boy that I didn’t want him. Consider yourself damn lucky that I didn’t tell him the truth about how you slept around with everyone and then lied about the paternity.”
6. “Come on, I know this evening was all a show to keep me happy so your company can buy the magazine.” ***** knew that this purchase would benefit the new publisher even more than it would him so long as he remained on board. “It would make me very happy to know a little bit more about the woman *****.”
7. He called and left a message on his office voice mail. A woman’s voice greeted him in a recorded message. Somehow he recognized that it was *****’s voice. He remembered her voice, but how could that be when he couldn’t remember anything else? ***** scribbled the hotel and room number for him on a paper napkin so he could leave it in the message. He finished his message and kept the phone to his ear through the rest of the recorded options. Wondering if his message sounded urgent enough, he thought about re-recording his message and then decided to let it stay as it was. He hung up the phone.
8. “That’s going to be it for me, I’ve got an early morning.” He removed his hand from her wrist and watched as she pulled her slender hand away, noting the bright red of her nails. He remembered seeing red nails like that before. It was the same red as the cherry that topped the ice cream sundae you took your girl out for on a hot summer night. It was the same red as the Ruby stone that sat in a high school ring.
9. “You know hon, some relationships make it and some don’t. Every relationship has baggage of some kind. People grow, sometimes they grow apart.” She leaned on her desk and smiled kindly for her friend. “But I’m the kind of romantic that believes most love affairs do work out. And I really do see love in his eyes when he looks at you. That’s certainly something none of us would have expected from the old *****. You really have brought out the best in him.”
10. They sent ***** back to New York ahead of him. She hadn’t even said good-bye. After a short interview with a government agent, she was provided with a ticket home and a ride to the Las Vegas airport. ***** never got the opportunity to speak with her after their rescue. As far as he knew, she never asked to see him. She was already on her way back to New York when he found out that she was gone.