Heather Thurmeier is a lover of strawberry margaritas, a hater of spiders and a reality TV junkie. Born and raised in the Canadian prairies, she now lives in New York with her husband and kids where she’s become some kind of odd Canuck-Yankee hybrid. When she’s not busy taking care of the kids and pets, Heather’s writing her next romance, which will probably be filled with sassy heroines, sexy heroes that make your heart pound, laugh out loud moments and always a happily ever after. She loves to hear from readers on social media and her website!
Heather is a member of Romance Writers of America and a fellow member of the Hudson Valley Chapter in New York. I recently had the opportunity to ask her a few questions…
- How did you start your writing career?
I began my career a few years ago when my kids started school. I suddenly had this time to myself and had an idea for a book, so I figured why not try to write it. I’d always wanted to so that was my chance to do something for myself. Once I started I didn’t want to stop!
- Tell us about your favorite character from your books.
Two of my favorite characters will always be Cassidy and Evan from Falling for You. They were the first characters to tell me their story and I will always love them for that! And the chemistry they have together is awesome. They’re fun, flirty, sarcastic, and super sexy together.
- Where do you dream of traveling to and why?
I’d love to see England, Scotland, and Ireland. I’d love to travel the countryside, visit old castles, and submerse myself in the culture. It seems like such a romantic place to vacation!
- Does travel play in the writing of your books?
In the Unscripted Love book bundle, each book focuses around a different reality TV show. While the contestants don’t have to leave the country, they all have to travel to the location of the show. While they’re not traveling far, they still have to leave their home, family and friends behind to take part in this adventure.
- Does your significant other read your stuff?
Not usually. He will read excerpts here and there. But he’s always available for brainstorming during my writing process. He’s amazingly good at picking apart a story to figure out what’s missing and brainstorming solutions. Whenever I have an idea that I just can’t figure out fully, I go to him and we discuss possibilities for my characters or plot. I always walk away with a better idea of where the story is going after one of our chats.
- Do you have critique partners or beta readers?
I have both and both play important parts in the writing process. I rely on my critique partners to tell me when I’m on the wrong path and set me straight and when I need help, I have them to bounce ideas off of. Sometimes all I need to figure out the solution to a plot problem is to voice my issues to my critique partners. They might have the solution or something they say might trigger an idea I hadn’t thought of before. My beta readers are also important. Once the book is fully completed, I need to know if it stands up to my other novels, if it’s lacking anything, or if it’s reading the way I intended it to read. They are the first set of eyes on my completed stories and the first indication of when I can expect other readers to think. I couldn’t release a new book without at least a few of them reading it first to give me the all clear!
And Heather has some exciting news to share – Unscripted Love: The Complete Reality TV Romance Collection, THREE Full-length novels, is bundled and available for just 99-cents [77-cents at Amazon!]
Hollywood and romance mix in this delightful trilogy that explores the passion that can develop from friendly rivals on reality television shows. It’s a behind-the-scenes dream come true sure to capture fans of The Bachelor, Survivor, The Amazing Race, and American Idol.
- Falling for You: Newly single Cassidy Quinn is thrilled to be a contestant on the new reality dating show, The One. But her excitement turns to horror when the gorgeous bachelor turns out to be her ex-boyfriend, Brad. Should she reunite with him or take a chance on hunky cameraman Evan?
- Stuck on You: If being forced to team up with reality TV’s favorite bad girl wasn’t enough, falling for her partner’s brother might just make this treasure-hunting reality show a real nightmare for Paige Anderson. But an alliance with Jack Miles might lead to more than just winning the prize . . .
- Lost Without You: Reality TV diva Zoe Oliver is used to putting up a good front, but she isn’t thrilled to rough it in the woods without indoor plumbing and electricity – and with producer Chip Carmack. When her secrets are revealed on camera, she worries she’ll lose everything – including her chance at redemption and the affections of the only man she’s ever trusted with her heart.